We all have bad habits and the older we get, the more difficult it is to change. Oftentimes, we wait until it’s a matter of life or death before we even consider changing. But why not transform your life to a life of total health and wellness now before something goes wrong.
Life certainly can deal us unexpected blows and punches. I’ve been there! As a physician, being diagnosed with breast cancer made me take notice of how cruel medicine has taught me to be to myself in the name of helping others. Running on fumes from lack of sleep and fueled by caffeine and carbs was a way of life for me until I developed cancer.
Now, I live and encourage a life of health and true wellness by treating, eating, drinking and thinking to my health and wellness. Today I want to share my Top 7 Tips to Help you Achieve Total Health and Wellness.
1. Practice gratitude – dwell on the things which you can be thankful for and practice gratitude daily.
2, Journal – Writing in a journal has long been known to be cathartic. Stress can wreak havoc on our bodies and journaling is a tool to help relieve some of that stress.
3. Practice Mindfulness/Meditation-clearing our mind and centering our thoughts can make a big difference in how we see and face the world. Mindfulness practices can help you do just that.
4. Sleep – We are often so busy taking care of everyone and everything else that we sacrifice sleep in the process. Take the time to get at least 7 hours of sleep per night. Sleep helps your body heal and recover from the stress of the day.
5. Eliminate poor dietary habits - Caffeine, toxins, and inflammatory foods can be a major hindrance to our health. Focus on a diet rich in whole foods, full of vitamins and nutrients to give your body the best chance at total health.
6. Hydrate -And don’t forget to drink plenty of water. The average American needs at least 8-10 cups per day. Drink up!
7. Exercise- Make exercise a part of your everyday routine. Just 20 -30 minutes a day can create lasting healthy habits, improve your mood and make you feel your best.
Wellness practices such as these have become a much needed way of life for me. Use these tips to continue on the road to total health and wellness.
Dr. Alexea, Gaffney is a triple Board certified (Infectious Disease) physician, mom, speaker, author, coach and breast cancer survivor/thriver. For more tips and information and to become a well warrior, sign up for her e-mail list so you don’t miss out on new and exciting things to come.